Friday, January 23, 2015

Sticker Shock




This is basically a summary of how I felt every time I looked at a price proposal for our wedding services.


Because HOLY SHIT. (This expletive was COMPLETELY necessary, I'm sorry.)


Even working in the wedding industry and literally handing out these same prices to people, I found myself keeling over and wanting to end it all just thinking about how much money was going into this ONE day of my life.



But thankfully, I picked myself up and actually thought about it again, and had to tell myself the same thing I rant about at bars on lonely Tuesday nights after dealing with brides-to-be bitching at me because "they're on a budget" (PRO TIP: The entire world...THE ENTIRE WORLD is on a budget, pal.) and a cost seems "outrageous" to them.


My rants basically go like this...

These people you're hiring, first of all, are experts. They know how to get shit done. And not only that, they're doing their job every day in the most high-stress environment dealing with the most high strung people you could ever deal with on a the most important day of their entire lives.

Secondly, they have ONE chance to get it right. If you go into your job and mess up, you're all like, ok that sucks but tomorrow will be better. THERE'S NO TOMORROW for them. It's seriously the most insane pressure you could ever put on someone.

"So like, this is the day I've waited for my whole life annnnd I kind of need it to be the most spectacular thing in the world, and I need you to be sure and not mess it up...k, byeee!" - Said every bride ever

So they're doing all that, and that's only the stuff you SEE. Don't forget about the months of preparation they've had to make your day magical, and you certainly shouldn't forget about the hard work they have to do afterwards, while you're whisked away to your honeymoon!

Think about your photographers, who work the whole day (dealing with your soon-to-be mother-in-law freaking out, your great aunt convincing them SHE knows just how they should be taking those pictures, your drunk uncles, your rowdy nephews, and occasionally a goat or two) making memories you'll cherish forever.

Then, they go home, and work for weeks editing and printing and uploading those beautiful images for you.

When you break down how much work they're doing by the hour, and the value of pictures you'll literally love your whole life...it doesn't seem like a great cost now, does it?

The same goes for all your vendors. They're there before, during, and after, waiting hand and foot on you and putting their heart and soul and passion into your big day.



Because I had about five seconds of being in a bride's expensive shoes, I wanted to share the reality of the situation from the other side of the veil.


The people you're choosing to hire are artists. They're talented and compassionate, dedicated and loyal, and they'll work harder than anyone you've ever met just to create one day of happiness for someone they probably barely know.

So yes, you're going to spend  we're going to spend a shit ton of money on ONE day of our lives.


But damn. It's going to be the best day ever. And it's all because of the people behind the scenes, making the magic. So here's how we should all really feel, because we aren't doing any of that hard stuff! We're just walking down the aisle!

No comments:

Post a Comment