Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Maestro of the Big Day and What Middle School Taught Me About Love


I'm going to start this blog off by saying if you're considering not getting a DJ, I need you to reconsider.


Music is one of the most important parts of your big day, and trust me, you do not want to be stressing out over an ipod!

Our DJ is a close friend of ours and a freaking DJ rock star, Jim Ogle of Ogle Entertainment. All of their DJs are the bomb...but he's the best EVAH.

Here is him and his gorgeous family.



And you need to know that the DJ is not just playing your music...he's the Maestro of your symphony. He's going to be directing the flow of the evening and getting the party started. It's important to have a professional who can handle your drunk relatives requesting Free Bird for the millionth time, and someone who can deal with anything that might come up.

Ogle Entertainment definitely knows how to make a wedding a huge success, and I honestly couldn't see anyone else being there for us on our wedding day.

That being said, Jim has already been awesome handling my over-obsessive, super picky music issues and also has helped calm me down with things that are not even wedding related. He told Eric he's the back up when I get too out of control, and he's already been called to the front line. PS....we're still SEVEN MONTHS AWAY.

Anyway, if you're thinking about opting out of the DJ part of your day, reconsider and check out Special Notes by clicking here. 

That being said, here is how I came to pick our music.




I grew up with a bizarre musical environment.

My mother played oldies and country, as well as barbershop. My dad played rock and roll, Ozzy, and Hank Williams Jr. while we drove around his red El Camino.

I didn't really hear any pop music until I was in my teens, which eventually transformed into angsty pop punk in my high school days.

Music has always been a huge part of my life, and unfortunately I was cursed with the inability to sing a note so I turned to band.

I played saxophone for 16 years and attempted lessons in guitar, lap harp, and violin (without much success).

I'm the type of person who has to pull over on the side of the road when I hear certain songs because they make me bawl my eyes out, and if a movie has a good score you can bet I'm going to be a wreck by the end of it.

So picking the music for our wedding has been...challenging. How do you choose your defining songs??


From the time you're born, music tells you exactly what love is and you use it the rest of your life to express heartbreak and butterflies and all the horrible, wonderful phases of love.


At every phase of my life there was a song that defined every moment of my relationships.


When I was in elementary school, I hadn't been in love but thanks to Garth Brooks I knew exactly how it was suppose to go down and how I felt hearing what it was like to have your heart broken. I felt prepared. Thanks, Country Music.
 


My freshmen year I had about a million feelings about everything, and Bright Eyes seemed to sum them all up perfectly. #angst

 
Yasssss, Conor. Tell me about love!


In high school a boy made me a mix that had a Dashboard Confessional song on it that I listened to on repeat that entire summer and was convinced I was madly in love.

 
Ohh, teeeeenagggeeee loveeeee. 


And then two people pummeled all over my heart, and I couldn't listen to music for about eight months. So I fell in love with NPR and it helped me through life until I could be a real person again.

My first rebound to that relationship was maybe not the best decision, but we did dance in the kitchen to 1940s jazz, and I'll remember that night forever.




In college I found someone I believed to be my soulmate, and I sobbed hysterically as we said goodbye to each other on the stairs of someone's house after a pool party.

He played Summer Skin as we sat together and cried, and I was certain that at that moment in time, my heart just burst into a million pieces and it would never come back together.
 



But you know, it does eventually and then you meet someone and you dance to Grease and the world changes.


 

The weird thing is, when you find it, you realize that all of those songs were background noise. You hear the right song with the right person, and it all seems like you were just changing the station and then BAM.


So I spent the past few months searching for the right songs for us, because all of my all time favorites seemed to fall short of saying everything I felt, everything I wanted to say.

It was a super struggle, until I heard it on the radio one day.


While I can't tell you what our first dance will be, because that's a surprise...I can tell you the sound I've found that we're walking down the aisle to.


You can click here to hear it.


Songs about love are all different at different moments in your life, but they're all important in making you who you are, and what sweet music it is to hear the song of the person you're meant to sing and dance with forever.

I think nine year old me, and sixteen year old me, and 90 year old me would approve of my chosen love song.

He's pretty swell.







No comments:

Post a Comment